Skip to main content

I am ME..

As usual, sitting with a group of women in the park, in the evening, watching over our kids. One of the ladies in the group had a baby recently - second child. So, we were all coo-cooing over the lil bundle. And the usual, list of do's and don'ts followed. 

The lady who had recently delivered said "Now I feel complete, as I am a Mother, twice lucky". And, yes there were emphatic agreements. I just watched and smiled, and returned home.

I got busy with my evening routine of, checking the homework, giving dinner to my son, and settling him for the night later. 

Since the husband was travelling, I had the time to myself after my son slept. The lines boomeranged, and I didn't quite agree. (Of course, to each his own, is my mantra in life). I started thinking. 

I did not have a child because I felt 'incomplete' in any way. I did not get married so that somebody could 'complete' me.  

Motherhood is just an extension of me, it's not my definition. Being a wife, is also an extension of me, not my identity. 

A woman is multi -dimensional, playing all roles with elan. 

 Woman - GOD spent time making this beautiful creature after he created ADAM (MAN), so actually, he felt that the MAN was incomplete, and he brought in this creature to complete the MAN, not the other way around. (Not being feminist here).

For the impatient man, there was a woman who's virtue was patience.

For the disorganized man, there was an organized woman, who took care of his things.

For the hungry man, there was a woman, who with her culinary skills, cooked to satiate.

For the lovelorn man, there was a woman, who held his hand, and surrendered herself.

Who am I? That will be decided by me, not by a puny little fella who walked into my life, after breathing inside me for 9 months. If I had not decided to keep him inside me, would he have seen the world outside? That is the strength of a woman. Life depends in her hands. Not in the hands of someone who married her, not in the hands of someone who came out of her. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

The pressure of celebration..

One of the usual mornings, where after packing off everyone, changed into my exercise gear and stepped out for the usual few rounds of cycling. Early morning chill was now taken over by the warmth of the sun, which gave me my dose of Vit D (much needed, my levels are alarmingly low). Finished my rounds, and caught up with my friends who were out for their morning walk. We parked ourselves in our layout under the sun chatting away. Today the topic was "what plans for 31st"? When one of the girls spoke very sadly, that all her friends have plans of taking a vacation/going for an NYE event/dinner and drinks at someone's place/drinking and going crazy at a pub, while she was "just going to be home". She was all the more upset, that while her friends would be going crazy posting pics all over social media, she would not have anything 'interesting' to share, and it would be embarrassing. I walked back with my head full of thoughts, precisely why the blo...

Friday Rumblings...

After a long time today, I made myself a cup of tea, lots of 'adrak', added jaggery since I quit sugar. My maid was on leave, celebrating a festival, otherwise everyday she is responsible for my tea. Growing up in Delhi got us used to the 'adrak wali chai, doodh kum, patti tez' (translates to strong tea with less milk and lots of ginger). When I got this maid, I taught her how to make tea this way, and since then she stopped liking the 'milky tea' she used to make. 10 years now, she makes it better :D. If I share this with my mother, she would be shocked, that her daughter who once wouldn't enter the kitchen, is now sharing 'how to's' with others. Well, that's my mother, its been 14 years since I actively started cooking, started when I was pregnant, but, even today she loves to just share stories of how I wasn't interested in cooking ever. It's the favourite family discussion topic. From making the comforting dal chawal to bakin...