Skip to main content

Snippets...

From now on most of my blog titles are going to be 'snippets'. Running out of titles, phew!

Watched English Vinglish yesterday. A nice movie. Sridevi, wow! What a comeback!!

Its a story about a simple Maharashtrian middle class girl, who has never studied English. Her husband and daughter keep taunting her, mother in law is supportive. Daughter gets upset when the mother has to accompany her for a PTM in the school, and shouts at her for talking to her teacher in Hindi. She runs a small business from home, of making laddus. She has a bagful of loyal clients, who admire and appreciate her talent. Sadly, her family doesn't appreciate her talent and as usual takes her for granted. A chance trip to US changes her life forever. There are portions, where we as housewives can relate to. I could. I loved the last set of dialogues, where she talks about marriage.

Marriage is a relationship where both the spouses are 'equals', where no one is judgmental, where both of them respect the efforts taken, but, somewhere the scale tilts to one side, one side becomes heavier. The heavier side starts feeling, that they are the ones who are doing more than the other. And, it need not be the husband always. I have seen wives also, who keep taunting their husbands.

This relationship keeps tilting, the scale is not always well balanced. That's the time, when the other person needs to gently, let their spouse know of their feelings. No point in name calling, accusing, fighting and spoiling the harmony of the house, because it's not worth it. If you think that your relationship is important, all you need to do is 'talk' make your partner aware of his/her actions. Chances are that it will work wonders, we do that with our kids, then why not with our partners? Do we love them any less? The lil tiffs that happen everyday or every other day are different. You need those to spice up your life. Don't make a mountain of those, most of the times our problem is instead of letting go, we let these small tiffs snowball into something big. We do it ourselves and then blame our partners for it.

Life is a long journey, and we need a hand to hold, to walk through. Our lil ones will fly, just as we did from our parent's nest, leaving our Mum and Dads to hold each other's hands.

So if you think your relationship deserves that extra effort, give it. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

Friday Rumblings...

After a long time today, I made myself a cup of tea, lots of 'adrak', added jaggery since I quit sugar. My maid was on leave, celebrating a festival, otherwise everyday she is responsible for my tea. Growing up in Delhi got us used to the 'adrak wali chai, doodh kum, patti tez' (translates to strong tea with less milk and lots of ginger). When I got this maid, I taught her how to make tea this way, and since then she stopped liking the 'milky tea' she used to make. 10 years now, she makes it better :D. If I share this with my mother, she would be shocked, that her daughter who once wouldn't enter the kitchen, is now sharing 'how to's' with others. Well, that's my mother, its been 14 years since I actively started cooking, started when I was pregnant, but, even today she loves to just share stories of how I wasn't interested in cooking ever. It's the favourite family discussion topic. From making the comforting dal chawal to bakin...

The pressure of celebration..

One of the usual mornings, where after packing off everyone, changed into my exercise gear and stepped out for the usual few rounds of cycling. Early morning chill was now taken over by the warmth of the sun, which gave me my dose of Vit D (much needed, my levels are alarmingly low). Finished my rounds, and caught up with my friends who were out for their morning walk. We parked ourselves in our layout under the sun chatting away. Today the topic was "what plans for 31st"? When one of the girls spoke very sadly, that all her friends have plans of taking a vacation/going for an NYE event/dinner and drinks at someone's place/drinking and going crazy at a pub, while she was "just going to be home". She was all the more upset, that while her friends would be going crazy posting pics all over social media, she would not have anything 'interesting' to share, and it would be embarrassing. I walked back with my head full of thoughts, precisely why the blo...