Skip to main content

I am sorry!

My heart goes out to you dear 5 year old. The tender age where you should have been wearing frilly frocks, jumping around, swaying your hair in the breeze, tying it with fancy ribbons, trying to catch the ray of the sun in your soft hands. At that age, you are lying in a hospital, with tubes and needles pierced in your body. The age where you should be eating chocolates, you are being fed liquids through tubes.

I am sorry, that you had to lose your innocence at the hands of a sick man. Everyday innocent girls like you are raped and thrown away to die. And I am sorry, that the democracy is being misused by a pervert. He tucked away his children safely, and attacked you brutally. The very thought gives me goosebumps. I cannot fathom your pain. My heart wrenched and I cried reading about your condition. But, unfortunately, that's all I could do. You are in my prayers Angel. I am doing what I can as a responsible citizen, as a Mother, keeping an eye on lil girls in my block. I am alert, if only many could think like that, and not turn away because she is not your daughter. If a bastard can touch your neighbour's girl, then the day is not far when he might touch yours.

Can't we do something? If every woman or man is alert in their colony, such brutal attacks can be prevented. I have decided not to close my eyes and ears... Every lil girl- whether it's a friend's child or a maid's daughter, if she needs my protection, I will do whatever it takes. Today it's the daughter of another family, tomorrow it could be the lil girls of my family.

I pray for strength for you Angel. May you fight all the odds and come out with flying colours. Run in the green pastures holding a bunch of balloons.

God bless you, baby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

Friday Rumblings...

After a long time today, I made myself a cup of tea, lots of 'adrak', added jaggery since I quit sugar. My maid was on leave, celebrating a festival, otherwise everyday she is responsible for my tea. Growing up in Delhi got us used to the 'adrak wali chai, doodh kum, patti tez' (translates to strong tea with less milk and lots of ginger). When I got this maid, I taught her how to make tea this way, and since then she stopped liking the 'milky tea' she used to make. 10 years now, she makes it better :D. If I share this with my mother, she would be shocked, that her daughter who once wouldn't enter the kitchen, is now sharing 'how to's' with others. Well, that's my mother, its been 14 years since I actively started cooking, started when I was pregnant, but, even today she loves to just share stories of how I wasn't interested in cooking ever. It's the favourite family discussion topic. From making the comforting dal chawal to bakin...

The pressure of celebration..

One of the usual mornings, where after packing off everyone, changed into my exercise gear and stepped out for the usual few rounds of cycling. Early morning chill was now taken over by the warmth of the sun, which gave me my dose of Vit D (much needed, my levels are alarmingly low). Finished my rounds, and caught up with my friends who were out for their morning walk. We parked ourselves in our layout under the sun chatting away. Today the topic was "what plans for 31st"? When one of the girls spoke very sadly, that all her friends have plans of taking a vacation/going for an NYE event/dinner and drinks at someone's place/drinking and going crazy at a pub, while she was "just going to be home". She was all the more upset, that while her friends would be going crazy posting pics all over social media, she would not have anything 'interesting' to share, and it would be embarrassing. I walked back with my head full of thoughts, precisely why the blo...