Skip to main content

NO (WO)MAN NO CRY..

So, the weekend's agenda was 'meet the inlaws' - my inlaws. And like many women, inspite of being married for a long time, the 'inlaw' factor still stirs a lot of mixed emotions, though I have learnt my way out and in of nagging situations, my heart continues to beat faster.

Anyway, there were lot of children, as it was my nephew's birthday party. The kids were playing, shouting, running, jumping, fighting - exactly in that order. My son. all of 8 is a little sensitive, he hasn't  learnt yet to deal with violent or hyper energetic kids. He kept requesting a kid of his age to stop kicking him, but the other one didn't listen, and as it's famously said, "Survival of the fittest", my son finally kicked back, and blocked him using his karate moves,(at last the technique was put to use)!

The fight actually increased, as the other kid now charged with all his might. By the time the elders stopped the fight, that kid had hurt my son, I was chatting with my Father in law, when my son came crying, showing the bruise. While I was consoling him, I also explained, why its important to fight back. In the middle of all this, my father in law said, "Hey, stop behaving like a girl, you are a boy, and BOYS don't CRY!!

I was surprised, politely but firmly, I told my FIL (father in law) that I do not agree with such views, and this is not what I teach my son, and surely don't want him to imbibe such 'shallow' values. I told my son, who had a quizzical expression on his face, that it's perfectly fine to cry. I had always told him that. I said its a good way of venting your emotions, so now, he had those raised eyebrows, a question mark on his forehead, because he had never heard this before. He started doubting me, as the valuable advice was coming from his Grandfather - A MAN, an elderly person, and he was always taught that grandparents certainly knew more than the parents as they are parents parents. Phew!! For a minute, I thought "OMG! What khichdi of thoughts in that small brain?"

I finally pulled him to me, and I said "Crying is not bad. Tears come from our heart when we are hurt, when we are sad and in pain. Tears should not be used as a weapon to demand stuff or throw a tantrum. At the same time, and crying all the time for everything can label you as whiny kid. A whiny kid can be a girl or boy. Tears are a healthy way to let go of our pent up emotions. Tears have no gender".

Then he said, "So why did Achappa(granddad in malayalam) say that boys don't cry? You always say that they know things more than you". For which I replied, Grandfather belonged to a time, when boys were told to be always tough, not to do household work, not to help any women, but, times have changed, and most men realized, that being tough doesn't mean hiding emotions, it meant, accepting that you are a human being, and its very natural to feel sad as it is to feel happy. Then I gave him the example of his dad, who expresses his emotions, who helps around the house etc.., and he is respected and loved tremendously for that. So don't you want to be like him? I asked, for which he replied in positive, and said that he also helps around the house, and I said Yes, and told him that I was proud of him. He went back to the gang of children, I just smiled at my father in law and told him that times have really changed. He obviously did not agree, but he knew his son didn't follow the same theory.

Just when I sat down for a gossip session with my sisters in law, my son came back asking the meaning of 'tears of joy', I requested for another day to explain that theory ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between then and now...

My last post was on 16th March 2015, and I haven't visited this space since then... Lot of things happened between then and now.. March 25th 2015, we finally got the possession of the villa, we had been rooting for. The previous owner was a complete jerk, he put us through an ordeal. But as they say, when you really want something, the universe conspires to get it for you. I desired that house, which is now my beautiful home. Even before, we signed the papers, I had visualized the decor of this house...my house, my home! I was happy with my previous villa too, it was enough for the 4 of us, but, hey, dreams are not in your control, fulfilling them definitely is. My husband made it happen. He just went after the guy to get this for us. The whole of April and May was spent in doing up the house. The woodwork, the furniture, drapes etc... Everything had to be coordinated. Though am still not happy with the colour of the curtains.. Looking around to find the right one. Then came t

short story..

Rohan checked his reflection in the mirror, clean shaven he was a dapper tonight, he smiled. His thoughts were interrupted by the sales lady, "Sir, your item is ready, it will be 25000/. Would you be paying by cash or card?" "Card", he said. He collected his packet and got into his car, waiting at the signal, he glided his hand on the velvet case. "She is gonna love it", he said it aloud in the privacy of his sedan.  He was dying to be in her arms tonight, and hear those magical words. He laughed, for thinking like a teenager. Nisha's intercom beeped, the guard informed her of Rohan's arrival. she checked herself for one last time in the mirror, sprayed her chanel, and went to the door. Rohan walked in with a bunch of flowers, and gave her the velvet box. A beautiful diamond studded pendant with a gold chain. She blushed, as he offered to string it around her neck, his hand brushed her bare shoulders, she shivered. She looked in his eyes, as he car

2013 it will be..

I was having my coffee in the morning as usual, when I saw the caption 'time flies'. That set me thinking. Checked the date, and couldn't believe that there were just 5 days left for 2012 to end. Phew!  Well, it's cliched, because every year, I say the same thing. I desperately wanted 2011, to end slowly, as the arrival of 2012 meant that I would have to leave Bangalore, but obviously, we do not have control over time. So 2012 came, I moved, and I am still settling in so to say, and now it's time to welcome another year. Thank God for surviving one more year. This is one prayer that I always say every year. New Year, new beginnings, so I guess I have to wait and watch what 2013 has in store for me. In the meanwhile, I will draw up my list of resolutions - that is a ritual, and I love to do it every year. I do not stick to the list, so this time, losing weight is definitely NOT there, though I still have to work on my water intake. I am worse than a camel when it com