Skip to main content

Let's un-complicate!

Those of you who have watched FRIENDS can easily remember Monica Geller, the obsessive compulsive woman, who wants everything perfect, she is so crazy that she even remembers the exact position and the design of each fridge magnet. There is also a Thanksgiving episode, in which she takes out her fine China crockery, and keeps insisting that everybody eats carefully, and someone even calls her the 'crazy plate lady'. 
While we laughed and enjoyed her craziness, if you look around, you will actually come across some weird Monicas, I have met many like that, and needless to say I have been amused.

Just this morning, I was reading the newspaper, where the rain water found it's way into some houses, due to bad drainage system and water logging. There was a lady, who complained about her 'Persian rug' worth 20k, getting damaged, I was just about to sigh and empathize, when I read her next statement, which said, that she didn't even allow anyone to step on it with shoes. Why? You have a house, you entertain people in the living room, then why would you put a Persian rug there? Even if you annoy people to remove their footwear, and then step on it, aren't you socializing there, by serving snacks and beverages/drinks? What happens when children come to your house? That means, you are constantly stressed, all the time keeping an eye on your expensive rug and not focusing on your guests. Is the rug worth it? 

There are houses which literally have brats for children, a dog, some more children coming from outside to play, and then you keep all your crystals, on display, at places where the kids can knock it over, then you stress yourself by shouting and screaming at the kids and the dog running around and having fun. Can't you  keep it out of reach? 

I know a lady, who is very fond of plants, indoor plants. She has planted them in crystal and ceramic pots, there are so many of them, the house looks like a park, and NO it is not aesthetically appealing. She has a robust, energetic 7 year old son, who loves playing with guns, pretending to be a policeman, running around the house chasing goons, and the only thing she does is shout, as she is scared that the boy might knock off the plant holders, and it might break. Why do such hideous things then? 

When you know that you have a child who is yet to become responsible, grow up, why can't you make your house child friendly? Yes, you should make sure that, you don't have a monster in making, but just simplify your life, buy expensive things if you must, but keep it out of reach for children.

I used to buy a lot of stuff until I had my son, by nature he is not destructive, but he is a child, accidents will happen. I stopped buying breakables and expensive things, I picked up a low cost rug, which is washable, easy to maintain, I don't mind the spills and the footwear. Most who deal with such 'crazy plate lady' syndrome people, would actually smirking after reading the newspaper statement. Her obsession with the rug, could not stop nature from venting its wrath.

My dad told me long ago,  and I also read it somewhere, anything that can't cry back is not worth your tears! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Between then and now...

My last post was on 16th March 2015, and I haven't visited this space since then... Lot of things happened between then and now.. March 25th 2015, we finally got the possession of the villa, we had been rooting for. The previous owner was a complete jerk, he put us through an ordeal. But as they say, when you really want something, the universe conspires to get it for you. I desired that house, which is now my beautiful home. Even before, we signed the papers, I had visualized the decor of this house...my house, my home! I was happy with my previous villa too, it was enough for the 4 of us, but, hey, dreams are not in your control, fulfilling them definitely is. My husband made it happen. He just went after the guy to get this for us. The whole of April and May was spent in doing up the house. The woodwork, the furniture, drapes etc... Everything had to be coordinated. Though am still not happy with the colour of the curtains.. Looking around to find the right one. Then came t

short story..

Rohan checked his reflection in the mirror, clean shaven he was a dapper tonight, he smiled. His thoughts were interrupted by the sales lady, "Sir, your item is ready, it will be 25000/. Would you be paying by cash or card?" "Card", he said. He collected his packet and got into his car, waiting at the signal, he glided his hand on the velvet case. "She is gonna love it", he said it aloud in the privacy of his sedan.  He was dying to be in her arms tonight, and hear those magical words. He laughed, for thinking like a teenager. Nisha's intercom beeped, the guard informed her of Rohan's arrival. she checked herself for one last time in the mirror, sprayed her chanel, and went to the door. Rohan walked in with a bunch of flowers, and gave her the velvet box. A beautiful diamond studded pendant with a gold chain. She blushed, as he offered to string it around her neck, his hand brushed her bare shoulders, she shivered. She looked in his eyes, as he car

2013 it will be..

I was having my coffee in the morning as usual, when I saw the caption 'time flies'. That set me thinking. Checked the date, and couldn't believe that there were just 5 days left for 2012 to end. Phew!  Well, it's cliched, because every year, I say the same thing. I desperately wanted 2011, to end slowly, as the arrival of 2012 meant that I would have to leave Bangalore, but obviously, we do not have control over time. So 2012 came, I moved, and I am still settling in so to say, and now it's time to welcome another year. Thank God for surviving one more year. This is one prayer that I always say every year. New Year, new beginnings, so I guess I have to wait and watch what 2013 has in store for me. In the meanwhile, I will draw up my list of resolutions - that is a ritual, and I love to do it every year. I do not stick to the list, so this time, losing weight is definitely NOT there, though I still have to work on my water intake. I am worse than a camel when it com