Skip to main content

Parent Teacher Meeting Agony

One of the things that I really don't look forward to in my son's academic sessions is the PTA meetings. 

There is nothing more painful than that for me, to first get up early on a Saturday morning, when I could be just be getting some 'beauty' sleep, then rush things up to make sure we reach on time. Time is allotted to each parent for the meeting. Needless to say, no one sticks to that. 

They all come at different times, and then throw their weight around, at others, who actually made an effort to reach at the scheduled time, saying '"our slot was 10". So what if they reach at 10:30, instead of 10, they will still argue with you that they were 'before you'. 

How I totally dislike such arguments! My husband would not get into any of this, happily would give way to others. 

The parents sit and talk for at least half an hour, (sometimes more), with the Teacher. Phew! I seriously wonder, what is there to talk about a 6-year-old or an 8-year-old? I mean, for God's sake they are in Primary, not in 12th, where you might need to get some counseling for their future. For which the schools plan Orientation sessions, collectively for all parents and students.

This just goes on and on forever. These parents just don't realize that they are eating up others' time also. Everyone has an agenda for the day. Nobody wants to spend the whole day in school, there are other things to do on a weekend. But, some just don't get it. 

I step in, to meet the teacher, I just look at her and politely ask her to say whatever she has to say about my son. She gives her feedback in about a minute. I usually have nothing to ask. At least till grade 2, it was about his food habits. Grade 3 onwards that also stopped. Unless, there's a concern regarding somebody bullying him, or vice versa, or a generic issue that the Teacher wishes to address, I don't ask anything. My logic - If a child spends 8 hours in school, he spends the remaining time at home, so I kinda know. I also agree, that children behave differently in school and at home, that is the only reason I sit quietly when the Teacher is giving her viewpoint. We are done in 3 minutes. 

If the parents have a huge list of problems, they should be considerate enough to ask for a special slot, where no one has to wait or gets disturbed. But no, they have to eat into others' time. They have to scold their children in front of the Teachers. They have to argue with the Teachers. They ask for the whole curriculum plan for the year and ask them how they do their job. My God! If they are so good at it, then why not switch places? Poor Teachers, I really feel bad for them when they have to deal with such difficult hyper parents.

I just sit there sulking looking at all this frenzy for barely 5 minutes of Teacher time. I am going to write a suggestion, that they should just mail the feedback to parents. And any psycho parent wanting to meet the teacher can take appointments. Phew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

The pressure of celebration..

One of the usual mornings, where after packing off everyone, changed into my exercise gear and stepped out for the usual few rounds of cycling. Early morning chill was now taken over by the warmth of the sun, which gave me my dose of Vit D (much needed, my levels are alarmingly low). Finished my rounds, and caught up with my friends who were out for their morning walk. We parked ourselves in our layout under the sun chatting away. Today the topic was "what plans for 31st"? When one of the girls spoke very sadly, that all her friends have plans of taking a vacation/going for an NYE event/dinner and drinks at someone's place/drinking and going crazy at a pub, while she was "just going to be home". She was all the more upset, that while her friends would be going crazy posting pics all over social media, she would not have anything 'interesting' to share, and it would be embarrassing. I walked back with my head full of thoughts, precisely why the blo...

Let's be un-real..

Open up social media these days, my page is bombarded with all these posts on real women. “ A real woman is someone who smiles when she wants to cry” “A real woman’s strength lies in her nerves of steel”. “A real woman never gives up”. “A real woman puts others needs before hers” “A real woman endures it all and never complains” I am getting tired of these posts.  What defines a woman firstly?  I mean, why are we desperately trying to create a mould? Is this our come back on male strength?  If that is the case, then we are being silly, because there is no comparison of a woman's endurance with a man. The world knows it. The universe has aligned it like that. If a woman decides to go out and have fun with friends, is she un-real? If a woman wants to go shopping, is she un-real? If a woman feels like eating out and not cook, is she un-real? If a woman puts her needs first while taking care of others, is she un-real? If a woman wants to ...