Skip to main content

Mind your P's and Q's

Did a little wiki search to refresh my memory, for the exact meaning of P's and Q's.

While, one explanation was that it stands for 'P-lease' and 'Thank you', the thank you makes the 'Q' sound hence that, while there was another interesting one which said that in the pubs and taverns of the 17th century, bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption by the patrons - 'Pints' and 'Quarts', hence Mind your P's and Q's.

When I read the second line, the first thought that came to my mind was, "Wow! Concept of pubs was that old?". Well I soon realized that my focus was shifting, so came back to the first explanation.

WHAT is with PEOPLE these days?

Where are the days when courtesies in general and social courtesies in particular, were given utmost importance?

Only and only for this reason I somehow don't appreciate the invasion of mobile phones in our lives.

Earlier, when there was only the landline, I remember people answering the phone with a very courteous 'hello', as they didn't know who the caller was. Now on the other hand, the name of the person flashes, on the mobile screen, and we either say, "haan bolo', or "Yeah, tell me". The soothing hello how are you? the smile in our tone has just disappeared. Sometimes, we also grumble when we see the name of the caller, and we go ahead and talk like that only.

Wishing people on their birthdays, anniversaries, special occasions like a house warming, naming ceremony, baby shower etc was fun, you could visualize the person talking with a smile on their face, as you could hear it.

These days first of all, calling up people and wishing them has taken a back seat, thanks to SMS's which have made people more lazy, and some of them who still take the effort to write a nice sms, the response from the other side is 'Tx' or 'tks'. How irritating is that? Are you busier than the President that you don't have few seconds to write, a heartfelt thank you message? On facebook, people write, 'hpy b'day' and the replies are the same 'tx', how difficult is it to write HAPPY BIRTHDAY or HAPPY ANNIVERSARY?

Not to forget the other category, who whenever you call, will ask you the same question, "anything important" "anything urgent?" And you are speechless, because you call up a person as you miss them, or probably felt like talking them, enquiring about them, their kids etc.. And this they ask everytime they answer the phone.

"Anything urgent?" Yes my house is on fire, can you share the fire dousing tips? will be my reply to anyone who answers my call with those two words. Why can't you greet the caller first, and then politely tell them, that you are a  little busy.

Neighbours drop in to your house, you make them stand outside and talk, what happened to the courtesy of calling them in? Its a known person, not a stranger.

And, then these are the same people who are ready to give lectures on courtesies, practice what you preach darlings, how are you gonna teach your kids?

"Sorry" "Please" "Thank you" were Barney's magical words, which have 'magically' vanished! Sigh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

Friday Rumblings...

After a long time today, I made myself a cup of tea, lots of 'adrak', added jaggery since I quit sugar. My maid was on leave, celebrating a festival, otherwise everyday she is responsible for my tea. Growing up in Delhi got us used to the 'adrak wali chai, doodh kum, patti tez' (translates to strong tea with less milk and lots of ginger). When I got this maid, I taught her how to make tea this way, and since then she stopped liking the 'milky tea' she used to make. 10 years now, she makes it better :D. If I share this with my mother, she would be shocked, that her daughter who once wouldn't enter the kitchen, is now sharing 'how to's' with others. Well, that's my mother, its been 14 years since I actively started cooking, started when I was pregnant, but, even today she loves to just share stories of how I wasn't interested in cooking ever. It's the favourite family discussion topic. From making the comforting dal chawal to bakin...

Let's be un-real..

Open up social media these days, my page is bombarded with all these posts on real women. “ A real woman is someone who smiles when she wants to cry” “A real woman’s strength lies in her nerves of steel”. “A real woman never gives up”. “A real woman puts others needs before hers” “A real woman endures it all and never complains” I am getting tired of these posts.  What defines a woman firstly?  I mean, why are we desperately trying to create a mould? Is this our come back on male strength?  If that is the case, then we are being silly, because there is no comparison of a woman's endurance with a man. The world knows it. The universe has aligned it like that. If a woman decides to go out and have fun with friends, is she un-real? If a woman wants to go shopping, is she un-real? If a woman feels like eating out and not cook, is she un-real? If a woman puts her needs first while taking care of others, is she un-real? If a woman wants to ...