Skip to main content

Let's be un-real..

Open up social media these days, my page is bombarded with all these posts on real women.

A real woman is someone who smiles when she wants to cry”
“A real woman’s strength lies in her nerves of steel”.
“A real woman never gives up”.
“A real woman puts others needs before hers”
“A real woman endures it all and never complains”

I am getting tired of these posts. 

What defines a woman firstly? 

I mean, why are we desperately trying to create a mould? Is this our come back on male strength? 
If that is the case, then we are being silly, because there is no comparison of a woman's endurance with a man. The world knows it. The universe has aligned it like that.

If a woman decides to go out and have fun with friends, is she un-real?
If a woman wants to go shopping, is she un-real?
If a woman feels like eating out and not cook, is she un-real?
If a woman puts her needs first while taking care of others, is she un-real?
If a woman wants to just put her feet up, is she un-real?

Who are these real women? Every woman goes through her share of pain and happiness, trials, and tribulations. From the time a girl is born till the time she dies, everything is decided by the society already. First of all to break free from the societal norms itself is a challenge. We still are fighting for the right to education for girls across the globe. And in our homeland, we are still fighting evils like female infanticide, child marriages, dowry, abuse, rapes etc... And now this. 

I want to understand, who is giving the verdict on who is fit to be a real woman? If the normal homemaker after packing off her kids and husband, decides to sit down and relax with a cup of tea, is she unreal?

Why can't women be just women? Enduring with a smile, going about her life the way she wants and chooses to. Facing challenges with grit, taking them head-on. And if she doesn't want to take challenges then let her not. We are already fighting too many things, still trying to find an equal ground in a patriarchal society. In that, if we start categorizing her into "perfect women" "real women" "true women" "strong women", we are creating a havoc.

Why can't we tell our women that if you want to cry then just cry, it's not going to make you unreal or weak?

If you want to give up, it's okay..come back and try again, maybe you will do it with more rigor and determination this time, and you will still be real.

Why can't we tell her that it's okay to take care of yourself first, especially when you have to be on your toes all the time taking care of others. You will still be strong and real.

And enduring it with a smile does not mean, that you cannot share your thoughts with a friend. It is okay to complain, you don't have to bottle it all up. You will still be real.

Why we as women are creating these pseudo characters? Isn't it time already to hold hands and empower rather than sitting and judging? You cannot possibly change mindsets of a generation before you, but you can always change the present and the future. Isn't it in our hands? It's time do away with these labels, that we are torturing ourselves with.

A woman sipping on her drink, getting her toenails painted while chatting on the phone is as REAL and PERFECT and STRONG as a woman trying to break gender stereotypes at work.  

You don't have to constantly take challenges to prove your strength. You show your strength when you actually face a situation. Other times you will still stay who you are. You my woman will always be the best creation of nature. As beautiful and special as the woman next to you.

And, A REAL woman can be WHATEVER she wants. Truly! 





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between then and now...

My last post was on 16th March 2015, and I haven't visited this space since then... Lot of things happened between then and now.. March 25th 2015, we finally got the possession of the villa, we had been rooting for. The previous owner was a complete jerk, he put us through an ordeal. But as they say, when you really want something, the universe conspires to get it for you. I desired that house, which is now my beautiful home. Even before, we signed the papers, I had visualized the decor of this house...my house, my home! I was happy with my previous villa too, it was enough for the 4 of us, but, hey, dreams are not in your control, fulfilling them definitely is. My husband made it happen. He just went after the guy to get this for us. The whole of April and May was spent in doing up the house. The woodwork, the furniture, drapes etc... Everything had to be coordinated. Though am still not happy with the colour of the curtains.. Looking around to find the right one. Then came t

2013 it will be..

I was having my coffee in the morning as usual, when I saw the caption 'time flies'. That set me thinking. Checked the date, and couldn't believe that there were just 5 days left for 2012 to end. Phew!  Well, it's cliched, because every year, I say the same thing. I desperately wanted 2011, to end slowly, as the arrival of 2012 meant that I would have to leave Bangalore, but obviously, we do not have control over time. So 2012 came, I moved, and I am still settling in so to say, and now it's time to welcome another year. Thank God for surviving one more year. This is one prayer that I always say every year. New Year, new beginnings, so I guess I have to wait and watch what 2013 has in store for me. In the meanwhile, I will draw up my list of resolutions - that is a ritual, and I love to do it every year. I do not stick to the list, so this time, losing weight is definitely NOT there, though I still have to work on my water intake. I am worse than a camel when it com

short story..

Rohan checked his reflection in the mirror, clean shaven he was a dapper tonight, he smiled. His thoughts were interrupted by the sales lady, "Sir, your item is ready, it will be 25000/. Would you be paying by cash or card?" "Card", he said. He collected his packet and got into his car, waiting at the signal, he glided his hand on the velvet case. "She is gonna love it", he said it aloud in the privacy of his sedan.  He was dying to be in her arms tonight, and hear those magical words. He laughed, for thinking like a teenager. Nisha's intercom beeped, the guard informed her of Rohan's arrival. she checked herself for one last time in the mirror, sprayed her chanel, and went to the door. Rohan walked in with a bunch of flowers, and gave her the velvet box. A beautiful diamond studded pendant with a gold chain. She blushed, as he offered to string it around her neck, his hand brushed her bare shoulders, she shivered. She looked in his eyes, as he car