Skip to main content

Karol Bagh...


Located in the heart of  New Delhi, Karol Bagh has been a shopper’s paradise. Sounds like a sentence from a tourist guide pamphlet, isn’t it? ;)
Its true that its a shopper’s paradise, it also happens to be the place where I was born, and where I grew up, Growing up in those streets was fun. Our house looked dilapidated from outside, but inside was good, the house overlooked a park, and my friends and me would have fun playing Badminton, hide n seek, cycling in the gallis, or just chitchatting on the presswala’s table and gossiping about the boys in the block. All of them played either cricket or football, am sure they have lost count of the number of glass panes they broke then, shouting “Sorry Uncle! Won’t happen again” and muttering “Saala Buddha”..Wow! That was FUN.
The Punju Aunties dressed up so gaudily,that even Govinda was insecure about losing his “most gaudily dressed star” status., One common thing about them was that they all  looked like footballs, Round was THE only shape then, and it was the “IN” shape, nobody had heard the concept of slimming down after babies. Kitty parties were a rage, and South Indians from all parts of South were ‘Madrasis’, most of them didn’t know that down south, there were four states. Anyway, now when I look back, am very thankful to my parents for having brought me up in Karol Bagh amidst the Punju clan, it actually played an essentiel role in shaping my personality.
I have very fond memories of that place, every Wednesday, my friend and me would go to Nirula’s for an Ice cream soda or Nutty buddy ice cream,. Then there was Raffles in Ajmal Khan Road, the pastries were oh-so-yum.. It is one of my favorite joints.

Even today whenever I visit Delhi, I make it a point to go to Karol Bagh, the 4 block, of course now everything has changed, to such an extent that I am unable to connect, our building where I stayed for 22years, has now been re-constructed, into a plush apartment, the park looks completely different, wonder how kids play there now? The Bengali Uncle and Aunty have moved out, they used to treat us to yummy roshogullas, my friends with whom I grew up, have got married and  shifted to different locations, practically, there is no known face there anymore, then what pulls me there? I ask myself, 
My childhood memories and my friends, and the life we led in that house is etched in my memory, the bitter-sweet events that happened in that house are now a part of me, its not easy to forget. I met lots of people there, and all my friends played a very important role in my life.
In the 30 minutes that I spend there, I re-live the past, get emotional about it and come back promising myself to visit it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity is my religion

I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. Khalil Gibran Ever since I understood the nuances, of life, relationships, God etc... I realized that I didn't like the categorization of people because of their religion. For a person, who totally believed in humanity first, it became complicated when my grandparents did certain things because they belonged to a particular religion, or, because in the Hindu (read: Brahmins) culture, it has been passed on from generations.  The silly superstitions like - waiting for 5 minutes incase a black cat crosses your path or not to ask "where are you going" to someone who is already at the doorstep. Or, not to talk or touch the maids as they are 'untouchables' and more used to irritate me.  The rebel inside me refused to accept the religious practices in the name of God! "So, who is God for you?" I remember my G...

Friday Rumblings...

After a long time today, I made myself a cup of tea, lots of 'adrak', added jaggery since I quit sugar. My maid was on leave, celebrating a festival, otherwise everyday she is responsible for my tea. Growing up in Delhi got us used to the 'adrak wali chai, doodh kum, patti tez' (translates to strong tea with less milk and lots of ginger). When I got this maid, I taught her how to make tea this way, and since then she stopped liking the 'milky tea' she used to make. 10 years now, she makes it better :D. If I share this with my mother, she would be shocked, that her daughter who once wouldn't enter the kitchen, is now sharing 'how to's' with others. Well, that's my mother, its been 14 years since I actively started cooking, started when I was pregnant, but, even today she loves to just share stories of how I wasn't interested in cooking ever. It's the favourite family discussion topic. From making the comforting dal chawal to bakin...

Let's be un-real..

Open up social media these days, my page is bombarded with all these posts on real women. “ A real woman is someone who smiles when she wants to cry” “A real woman’s strength lies in her nerves of steel”. “A real woman never gives up”. “A real woman puts others needs before hers” “A real woman endures it all and never complains” I am getting tired of these posts.  What defines a woman firstly?  I mean, why are we desperately trying to create a mould? Is this our come back on male strength?  If that is the case, then we are being silly, because there is no comparison of a woman's endurance with a man. The world knows it. The universe has aligned it like that. If a woman decides to go out and have fun with friends, is she un-real? If a woman wants to go shopping, is she un-real? If a woman feels like eating out and not cook, is she un-real? If a woman puts her needs first while taking care of others, is she un-real? If a woman wants to ...